Monday, November 20, 2006

THANKS TECUMSEH!

I just had an amazing week.

Last Tuesday and Wednesday I had the pleasure of being the “Writer In Residence” at the Cross Timbers Elementary School in Tecumseh, Oklahoma. The wonderful school librarian, Jami Gates had asked me over a year ago to participate as part of Children’s Book Week – and of course I said, “yeeha yes!”

Arriving at the school Tuesday morning (after calling from a tiny gas station telling them I was very lost – note to authors: never trust MAPQUEST to get you there!) I was greeted by an assembly of pajama-clad kids ready to hear me read and answer questions. These 4th graders were attentive and excited – a killer combo for a visiting writer.



I was prepared to read and do workshops – but I’ve got admit, I was blown away by the POND SCUM-ification of the school. The 3rd, 4th and 5th grade doors had been decorated by the kids, hallways had homemade crows dangling in-flight, and on Wednesday (Dress Like Your Favorite Book Character Day) I met kids dressed like characters in my book (and Judy Moody, Pippi Longstocking, Dorothy, a Star Wars Stormtrooper, etc…)

Remember folks – I live in my basement office. I don’t get out much. Those of you who teach or work in libraries get the daily rush of kid-citement. Me? I was surrounded by eager minds and kids bursting with questions and an overall sense of ownership: I was THEIR AUTHOR – for 2 days anyway, and I admit they were MY STUDENTS.


Today’s post is a heart-felt thank you to the kids, teachers and staff of Cross Timbers. I had an amazing two days in your hallways, classrooms and cafeteria (love those corndogs!)


Tomorrow: I’ll tell you about the WRITING WORKSHOPS!

3 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I'm sure you encouraged a lot of us soon-to-be or hope-to-be published authors to get out of our basements once in a while.

Very heartwarming to see what they did for your visit.

- Jay

Camille said...

What a beautiful school! I can only imagine the planning and work that went into this. I love author visits.

- Camille
P.S.: Just found out my 4th grade nephew is interested in salamanders. He is a reader too. I know just the book I am sending his way for Christmas this year.

SilberBook-Blog said...

Thanks Jay - compared to my "basement" the cafe you and your mermaids inhabit sounds amazing. Maybe I should switch to writing on the west coast!

And Camille - it was the most wonderful author visit - I love them too. (and a 4th grader into salamanders should enjoy a certain book - which I'd be happy to autograph if there's time!)

alan